An Interstitial / Overlay Ad format is a fully responsive, between the page or roadblock unit that may/may not require user action to proceed and can incorporate rich media. Can also float and expand over the page content and close into a standard in-page ad on click, hover, or automatically. (per site specs).
Interstitial (One screen using Interstitial Format):
This article will walk you through creating an Interstitial using Adventive’s interstitial template.
Interstitial Ad Unit
In the Builder, Create a New File, type in File Name, and select Interstitial from the dropdown.
Select and set your dimensions by selecting from the dropdown or choose custom to enter your own.
Backup Image – Any image asset that matches the dimensions you’ve entered will be displayed in the dropdown list. You can select one here or add a backup in the builder under general properties in the “Fallback Image” field. This Backup Image will be displayed if the user’s browser is out of date and cannot support HTML5.
Click URL – The default click URL. The click URL is automatically applied to any area of the ad unit without an associated click or event action (i.e. buttons, hitboxes, expand actions etc.). Users that click on the fallback image will also be directed to this URL.
Setting Up Your Canvas
A blank canvas will load on Screen 1. This is where you'll place your ad content.
Ad Properties (In the Properties panel to the right of the Builder)
Width and Height
The Width and Height of each canvas will be the sizes you chose from the Create New File template.
- Mobile Orientation Lock
- None - if left as default a viewer will not receive a "Please rotate your device" alert
- Portrait - select if you want a viewer to receive a "Please rotate your device" alert if they are
not viewing the ad in portrait mode on their mobile device
- Landscape - select if you want a viewer to receive a "Please rotate your device" alert if they are not viewing the ad in landscape mode on their mobile device
Example of "Please rotate your device" alert:
- Roadblock – the roadblock option prevents the user from navigating past the ad unit – hides the close button for a set number of seconds
- Only Show Once – select to show ad only once per day
- Background Color – you can change the color of the background by clicking in this field and selecting a color and clicking “OK"
* New: Color Picker - once you click in the Border Color or Fill Color box - you can select a color, type in the hex number, or click in the white rectangle/bottom left to bring up the color picker:
Select the color picker icon and place it over any area in the builder of the color you wish to select. The info and object selected will change to the color of what you have selected to match.
- Gradient – if selected, you can choose a gradient color and rotation
- Background Transparency - you can set the opacity of the background (0%=fully visible to 100%=invisible
- Disable Background – removes the greyed out background leaving the page content fully visible
- Hide Close Button – if selected, the default “x” close button will not appear
- Close Button Icon – click the input box to upload a custom close button icon image here (the asset manager will open, just select or upload the image you want to use)
- Close on Timer – automatically closes the ad after a specified number of seconds
- Seconds – specify the number of seconds before auto closing the unit
- Show Timer – if selected, the timer will display at the top of the ad
- Cancel close timer on engagement – cancels the close on timer action if the user engages with the ad unit – includes hovering over the ad for 2+ seconds
- Close on Click Through – Automatically closes ad if user clicks through to URL
Save the ad.
Go to the Preview icon to view the ad.