An Overtake ad format is a high-impact format that looks great on any screen. It launches as a full –width, bleeding edge unit with safe area in the middle of the ad.
On expansion, the Overtake fills the screen providing a ton of rich media real estate to grab brand awareness. Users are able to then scroll down to reveal page content or close the ad unit altogether.
This article will walk you through creating an Overtake ad unit.
Overtake Ad Unit
In the Builder, Create a New File, type in File Name, and select Overtake from the dropdown.
Select ad dimensions or click custom to enter your own.
Backup Image – Any image asset that matches the dimensions you’ve entered will be displayed in the dropdown list. You can select one here or add a backup in the builder under general properties in the “Fallback Image” field. This Backup Image will be displayed if the user’s browser is out of date and cannot support HTML5.
Click URL – The default click URL. The click URL is automatically applied to any area of the ad unit without an associated click or event action (i.e. buttons, hitboxes, expand actions etc.). Users that click on the fallback image will also be directed to this URL.
Setting Up Your Canvas
A blank canvas will load on Screen 1 and Screen 2. This is where you'll place your ad content.
Ad Properties (In the Properties panel to the right of the Builder)
Width and Height
The Width and Height of your canvas will be the sizes you choose from the Create New File template. You can change these at any time.
Opacity of the ad canvas
Selecting this option will automatically scale the ad screen to the size of the user’s browser.
Click to change or update the name of your ad
Default Click URL
Click to change or update the default click URL
UPDATE: You can now choose to have the Default Url open in a “New Tab” or the “Same Tab” by clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the “Open In” field in General Properties:
Click to add or update your fallback image. This will open your assets, displaying only images that are identically sized to the initial load screen dimensions of your ad unit.
- Background Image – click the input box to upload a custom background image (the asset manager will open, select or upload the image you want to use)
- Background Image Display
- Tile – selecting “Tile” will auto repeat the background image asset in blocks across the background.
- Fill – selecting “Fill” will auto size the background image asset to fill up the entire background.
- Contain – selecting “Contain” will auto size the background image asset to be contained within the site content area.
- Stretch – if the background image asset is a different size than the background, selecting “Stretch” will auto size the image to stretch across the entire background.
- Background Image Color - you can change the color of the background by clicking in this field and selecting a color and clicking “OK”.
- Hide Close Button - if selected, the default “x” close button will not appear
- Close Button Icon – click the input box to upload a custom close button icon image here (the asset manager will open, select or upload the image you want to use)
- Show Page Placeholder – this will be selected as a default and will display a transparent blue rectangle in the middle of the canvas representing your site content. You can hide this by deselecting.
- Page Width – by default, content width is set to 1280px. For this example, we’ll assume a content width of 1280px.
- Bottom padding - by default, padding is set to 0px.
While in Screen 1, Click on the Asset icon and select your asset, or upload a new one by clicking the cloud icon at the bottom left of the window.
You will now have a layer at the bottom of the builder for your image, as well as the “Expand Ad” placeholder.
If you want to delete the “Expand Ad” placeholder and set the action to the image, select the layer and then delete by pressing Delete on your keyboard or clicking Delete.
A window to confirm deletion will pop up – Select Cancel or Delete.
Now click on the image layer and use the Properties Panel to the right in the builder to add Actions.
Example of timed/auto-expand action:
Follow similar steps as above for Screen 2. Click on the Asset icon and select your asset, or upload.
* You can select a screen and drag it/reorder the screens - this will automatically update the ordering numbers listed on the Screen tabs. (You should check any previous actions you have in case you need to update Go to Screen actions, etc.)
Save the ad.
Go to the Preview icon to view the ad.